Monday, December 29, 2008

Pre-Departure Jitters

Hey Everyone!

May I present to you my first ever blog . I did something similar to "blogging" in Cuba, but nothing this official. I hope to give you a good idea of my experiences here in Israel - both positive and negative. The truth from my perspective.

I'm really excited to be going to Israel. I really believe that the only way to really understand a culture is to experience it for yourself. My experience in Cuba (as many I'm sure recall) taught me that immersion into a culture not only helps you learn the language, but really gets you to appreciate their perspective.

In Cuba, as one can imagine, I was faced with constant pro-revolutionary propaganda. Everywhere I looked I could see the Che or hear about the wonderful results of the Revolution (re: education for all, the 'green' revolution, true independence). But behind the curtain of real achievements, came another, more sinister story - one told from the people. For example, even though Cuba makes enough sugar to feed its entire population, it sells all of it as a lucrative commodity on the international market. To meet domestic demands, Cuba imports sugar all the way from Brazil, which is of much lower grade. Talk about counter-revolutionary and capitalistic ideals. It was hard to believe, until I actually saw the big bags of sugar with the label "Hecho en Brazil" (Made in Brazil). I would have never known this had I not stayed in Cuba for an extended period of time.

Aside from learning Hebrew, I hope to understand Israel from the people's perspective. I really want to be able to travel from Kiryat Shmona in the North to Eilat in the South. Also, if violence in the region subsides, I'd like to visit Egypt, Jordan and maybe even Turkey. I can know of no better way of understanding a region as complex as the Middle East then by going there and seeing it for myself.

As far as logistics go, from Dec 30-Jan 11, I will be on the Birthright Trip (Free 10 days trip to Israel for Jews between the age of 18-26). After that time I have a few days to get to know Tel Aviv before my internship starts on the 15th. I am also going to be receiving a cell phone with free incoming calls for anyone interested enough to call me. Please remember that I am 7 hours ahead of EST. When I receive the number, I will post it!

I hope you enjoy this blog and use it as a resource. Please be respectful when commenting on here, I do not want to play the role of moderator.



2 comments:

  1. Dearest Samuel,

    I am really excited to hear about your adventures and to get your take on things. I have always admired your passion when it comes to things you feel strongly about and I know that you will make the absolute most out of your time in Israel. Safe travels!

    Shalom,
    Alisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm slowly narrowing the dates down. Looks like I'm free from Feb 28 until March 7. If you are available during any of that time, let me know and I'll schedule a visit! I might have to get there through Egypt, not that I'm complaining!

    Have a great flight Sam!

    ReplyDelete